New coalition, FairPlay Canada, urges CRTC to take action against online theftJanuary 29, 2018 | Website www.fairplaycanada.com
The push is on to end the theft of digital content by illegal piracy websites.
FairPlay Canada, a coalition that includes Canadian artists, content creators and broadcasters, is asking the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to establish an independent agency to assist it in identifying websites blatantly engaged in content theft.
The coaliton also wants the CRTC to require Canadian internet service providers to take measures to prevent such sites from reaching Canadians.
Dr. Shan Chandrasekar, president and CEO of Asian Television Network International Limited is filing the coalition's application.
"Online theft is hurting Canadians' ability to enjoy the content they love and protect the jobs of the artists who create it," he said.
According to the FairPlay Canada, the jobs of hundreds of thousands of Canadians who work in the creative sector are at risk as a result of increasing online piracy. Those jobs include songwriters, set builders and local news reporters.
Payments from legitimate streaming services, broadcasters, distributors, and exhibitors help support these artists and creators.
Note: Rogers Media is part of FairPlay Canada and is the owner of this website.
- ETHNIC CHANNELS GROUP SIGNS MULTI-YEAR DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT WITH TV ASIA
- THE AFRICA CHANNEL HAS LAUNCHED IN CANADA ON ROGERS IGNITE TV
- PeopleTV LAUNCHES IN CANADA ON ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS' IGNITE TV service featuring Programming from PEOPLE and Entertainment Weekly
- Times Network inks deal with Ethnic Channels Group to launch ET NOW in Canada
- QYOU Media Forms Distribution Partnership with Ethnic Channels Group in Canada
- SCHLAGER TV NOW AVAILABLE ON TELUS OPTIK TV.German pop and folk music aficionados will now be able to subscribe to Schlager TV on Telus OPTIK TV